Ok, so I know I have been horrible at posting so I know a lot has been left out with all that is happening (has happened) with our little guy. I will give you a quick synopsis/run down or what I am about to tell you won't make a whole lot of sense.
Back in Dec. we spoke to our pediatrician about Nicholas' pretty intense snoring. He referred us to a ENT (Ear Nose Throat) Doctor who said there isn't much we can do about his snoring. Since I was there I took the opportunity to share with him that Nicholas had failed his hearing test. They ran a test there and determined he had fluid behind his ear drums. We left it alone in hopes that it might drain by itself and went back 5 weeks later to have it checked again. Unfortunately, the fluid still remained so we scheduled tubes. I was hoping that we wouldn't have to go that route, but it was best for Nicholas. On April 2nd we went in and had tubes put in Nicholas' ears and he has made huge improvements since then in many areas. Is it attributed to the tubes alone, no of course not, but it has definitely helped. Since that time he has become a cruiser with walking, literally, he tries to "run" away from us and it is hilarious we now have to jog a little to catch him, he is getting faster!!!
When I took a road trip with my boys to see my best friend Steph and her family and to celebrate the graduation of a family's youngest son, (who also happened to be the only boy who finished the very first grade I ever taught) I noticed a few things about Nicholas that had me rather concerned.
He wouldn't sleep unless right next to me so I didn't get much sleep on that trip, but it helped me to hear and become aware of some of the things he was doing in his sleep. The first and foremost was that this kid can snore, and I don't mean a little whimper of a thing, I mean a full load freight train kind of snore, and when that is right next to you it is ever louder. If you don't believe this is true, just wait for my best friend Steph, or my cousin Mandy to comment, they have heard this little boy first hand. However, that was not my biggest worry. I also noticed during this trip that he would take little pauses in his breathing and then kind of gasp as though he wasn't getting enough air. So, of course as any good mother would do, as soon as I came home I contacted our doctor and asked for a referral for a 2nd opinion, because something just wasn't right.
We were able to get into to see Dr. Matthison within a week (because of a cancellation, not because they had availability! lol) I had my mom come with me, just to make sure I heard everything correctly and to give me another set of hands since I had my 2 boys and her youngest foster daughter. The game plan from that appointment was to get an x-ray to check adenoids, possibly do a sleep study and then try to get us back to see Dr. James Sipman (sp) who we saw when Nicholas was just 3 weeks old (now mind you this was the same doc who told us Nicholas was not tongue-tied and he most definitely was, so as good of a doc as he might be, I am a little hesitant). All of this happened on June 14th. On the 21st we were able to do his x-rays right before my ultrasound, which worked out very nice since I was already at the hospital. They called me the next week to let me know that he did have enlarged adenoids and that Dr.Matthison would get back to me when she got back in the office since she was on vacation until July 15th. Thanks goodness she stopped in the office during her vaca and the office got back to me that they were forwarding everything to a sleep center to do a sleep study before we go ahead with surgery to remove the adenoids.
Here again, we play the waiting game and deal with insurance. The goal for kiddos Nicholas' age is to do the sleep study in the home so they kiddos are in their own environment and beds and it just makes it soo much easier. Well insurance denied the in-home study and they don't do sleep studies on little lads in their office. Well, they sure could have told me that right away, because I was just a little pissed. They then said they would have to go back to Dr. Matthison and see where to go from there. I hear nothing for 2 weeks so I call her office myself. Well, apparently someone dropped the ball because she had not heard of the denial and that we were "waiting on her." She called me personally the next day, which of course I missed the phone call, and let me know she was looking into it and would call the sleep center 1st thing Monday morning. She did call me back on Monday and again I missed the call, but she did let me know that all the info had been sent to the hospital which is where Nicholas' sleep study would have to be done as an in-patient because of his age. They didn't know anything beyond that, but someone would be calling me to let me know where everything was at. That was 2 weeks ago and they informed me they were just waiting on the hospital to let them know when we could schedule him to go in and have this done so we can move on and decide what our next course of action is.
Sorry, I know I said short version, this kind of is. :) Needless to say, I get a phone call today, yes today and the hospital has room for us to go in tomorrow. I mean seriously??? They take forever to get back to me and then they want me in tomorrow!?!?!?!?! Well, let's just say that God is watching out for this little blessing of ours, because it just so happens that my dad still has Wednesday morning off so he can come to our place in the morning so Doug can go to work and hang with Jonathan (when he wakes up) until I get back home with Nicholas.
I don't know any other details as I have to call back tomorrow morning and confirm that it does work for us and then hopefully they will give me more details other than, we would like you there by 7. I am asking for prayers for my little guy so he will sleep soundly and "normally" so the devices can pick up anything that is out o the ordinary so we can get clear answers on what to do next. If you could say some prayers we would be so grateful and I will keep you updated. I may even "steal" my mom's laptop so I can use it in the hospital and post an update pic or 2. We will have to see if that works with mom! :)
1 comment:
Hope everything goes with the sleep study. Can't imagine trying to get a little one to sleep normally in such different enviroments but hope they were able to see what they needed to. And hopefully they can relieve some of his snoring cause man is it LOUD!
Post a Comment