Friday, January 4, 2013

ENT - Thursday Jan 3 2013

So today we had an appointment with the ENT doc Dr. Bellasario - the same one that did Nicholas' tongue-tie clip this past summer. We were not going for a follow up, but to check out if there were any serious reasons as to why our little guy, yes the youngest one in our house, snores like a freight train! We get there and for starters, I am early. Wait, what? Did I change persons? nope, what I did do is put the appointment in my datebook for 15 prior to the actual appointment. Something, I have decided to do on a regular basis so we arrive on time or early all the time.
While we are waiting to be called back Nicholas of course has to scope out the place and make a run for any area that has a light shining from it. So away we went to the little alcove by the bathrooms. Brought him back to the chairs and he took right off again to head to the stairs. I followed close behind because you never know when a youngster is going to make a mad dash in any given direction. We didn't have to wait very long to get called back which is a very nice gift given the time of year and how many people are in need of a doctor. We head back the nurse takes all of Nicholas' vitals and then we wait for the doctor. Again, it was a much shorter wait than I anticipated and I was very grateful for that. Dr. B came in and we talked about our concerns and he checked him out. I also shared that Nicholas failed his hearing test at the yearly re-eval we did for all the services he receives. (I knew I wanted to talk to him about this, but it wasn't the main reason for the appointment.) He said let's focus on the snoring issue first and then we will check out the hearing. So he checked him out looked at his nose, checked his mouth, made sure there was no blockage in either and shared the following: our poor child's spouse (should he marry) is doomed. No, that isn't what he really said, it is just something Doug and I joke about.
Anyway, the issue isn't in his nose at all! Great, right? not really. His uvula (sp??) the hanging down thing you see in the back of your throat when you look in the mirror and his tonsils have some extra "give." Add that to his extra high arched palette, and his recessed (small and set back a little) jaw and you have a GREAT recipe for horrible snoring. What happens is he already has a small space for the air to pass through, then throw in each part from above, the relaxing of the tongue when he sleeps and you have a terrific snorer on your hands. Thank goodness it isn't all the time but it gets especially bad when he has a cold, which of course tends to happen often, because he has a harder time fighting them off. I can talk more about that in a later post if you so desire, leave a comment and let me know.
So, basically the snoring, not much we can do but pray that it gets a little better and that should he be called to marriage, a very understanding (and sound-sleeping) wife. Many Many years from now of course.
So on to the failed hearing test. Dr B called down to audiology and they were able to come up and do a quick check right away. We didn't have to go far at all, just across the hall. It was great. The not so great? The test they ran checked for fluid in his ears. It was positive in both right and left. This in and of itself isn't uncommon in little ones. The plan of action is thus, we are going back in 6 weeks to see if progress has been made on its own to drain or if further action will be needed.
What I am struggling with is what might need to be done. I know I am borrowing worry and I am praying it seems almost by the minute that I may not worry but, it is a battle. See if the fluid is still there, we will need to put him under and have tubes put in.This again is a fairly common procedure. The problem I currently am worrying about though I shouldn't be because this may not even need to be done. However, I worry about him needing to be put under because of his bad reaction to dilating eye drops and he is still so young and of course all of the other things we are dealing with, which we still don't have answers for yet.
I am fully aware that God is in control and that he will continue to guide us on this journey that He is leading us through. I am just struggling with all the unknown and of course it is my baby. It is so much harder when it is your own little ones. It is much easier to deal with when it is me or Doug. So what does all this mean, basically we play the waiting game again. Wait, I am not sure we have ever really stopped playing the waiting game in Nicholas' short little life. He is only 17 months old and I feel like we have waited on something or another since his birth. God is clearly doing some great work in us and in our little family. I ask that you continue to pray with me for His guidance and peace and we venture into the world of "who knows' :) May His name always be praise in all that we do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying the fluid clears up before your next appt but if not the tubes will help him. Glad to see you posting again. Writing things down will really help with healing, understanding and letting go. God has a plan, just trust him.

Christine said...

Sounds like you are doing a good job, and the anxiety can sneak up on one no matter what. I struggle with it too. At least you know, the more you struggle the more your faith can grow. So happy to see you posting again!

Sheila said...

Thanks ladies for your somments and support. It really means a lot. I am looking forward to keeping this up. My goal at this point, (once I get the last few from today up) is to post at least once a week. I am giving you permission to kick my butt if I don't. :)