Yesterday was our yearly appointment with Dr. R our cardiologist from the cities who has followed Nicholas since birth. Since there is no pediatric cardiologist here he comes up from the cities a couple Wednesdays a month to see all of his kiddos. Our ECCO was @ 1 and the appt with Doc was @ 1:40, to say I was a bit scared might have been a bit of an understatement but I don't think I realized how much until the appt was over.
Seen last year our world was rocked a bit when the doctor told us we needed to schedule yearly appointments to keep and eye on his heart. That is a very scary thing for a parent. If the doctor feels he needs to be monitored every year there is something he must see or something that gives his some pretty grave concern.
We worked through that accepted it and then got the diagnosis of Sprintzen-Goldberg Syndrome back in February and being that this is such a rare diagnosis, less than 50 in the world, they know next to nothing about it except characteristics. One of those being that some of the people with SGS have sever heart defects and the majority that do are male. I figured, well prepare myself we might be in that very small number. I am happy to report that as if right now, we are not.
Dr. R said that his last VSD (heart murmur) has closed and that the concern he had last year of the slight growth in Nicholas' aortic root has actually shrunk a little as well. He attributes that to Nicholas growing and his body changing along with that. He actually lifted ALL precautions (the only one was no contact sports, but he has 2 brothers he kind of lives in a contact sport ha ha ha). He said from a cardiology stand point our little guy looks great and is doing quite nicely. Even more incredible we don't have to go back for 2 years and if he continues to do well and Nicholas' heart continues to stay strong we can go even further apart and possibly get to a point where we may not have to at all anymore. I am not going that far yet, but knowing that the doc feels confident enough that we don't have to go back for 2 YEARS makes this mama want to cry and scream and jump for joy and cry some more as I realize all of the anxiety I have built up over the possibility if him having heart problems. This is not to say he is completely out of the woods, anything can change or happen and if it does an appt is only a phone call away, but for right now I am going to Praise God for this small miracle and hug all of my babies a little closer and thank all of you for your prayers and love. Please keep them coming that we might be able to continue to stay ahead of ANY medical needs he might have/develop and for all of us as we continue to navigate the waters of what the Good Lord has given us. May His grace Bless you and cover your families with His Unending Love!
1 comment:
So happy that the appointment went well! That should help relieve a little anxiety, one less thing for busy mama to worry about!
Post a Comment