Sunday, July 15, 2012

Monday, July 2, 2012

Well, now that the lead in to today has you set for what is coming, I can hopefully keep it a little shorter, but then again maybe not. We will see where the words lead me and that's that!
On the way to the appointment I dropped, Jonathan and my mom's 2 foster girls that I watch , off at adoration with my mom and I know their praying helped us out. I was almost there and had even gotten into the turn lane, when I realized that I was not going to the correct clinic. I didn't have to go far, just across the street, but it made me a few minutes late. We got inside, checked in and when upstairs to the 3rd floor and handed off the paper we received at check-in.
Nicholas was enjoying some time with just the two of us and of course with his new found mobility, at least a little. He was starting to get fussy so I was trying to hold him off and distract him. Of course, I made him wait a little too long and he got pretty crabby. At this point it was almost 20 minutes past our appointment time, and I asked how much longer it would be and was told that we were the next, so it shouldn't be long. I figured I would try to nurse Nicholas quick so he wasn't too crabby during the appointment. I should have done that much sooner because of course right after I started to nurse him, they called his name.
The nurse asked a few questions checked his temp and got things prepped for the Doc. It didn't take long for him to come in, which was nice. He also asked a few questions, how is Nicholas doing, what is the reason we came in today. Then we hopped over into the chair so he could take a look. He took one little look at Nicholas and said, "He definitely has a tongue-tie. I wish I had seen him when he was younger, because it is much easier to work with." Which of course, I shared it is something we have tried to do something about for a while, and something we question from birth. However, he said, well let's just take care of it. I was a little flabbergasted, as I wasn't expecting that at all. He told me Nicholas won't remember anything. I was not concerned about that at all. I knew it needed to be done so Nicholas can grow and learn how to talk and eat correctly. So they got everything prepped and a nurse came in to help hold Nicholas who was still sitting on my lap. I probably should have help his head instead of his arms and legs, because I was stationary and the nurse wasn't so it was a little hard to hold, a squirming 11 month old, still.
I am very proud of Nicholas as he did great. He wasn't a fan of being held down and not able to move, but what baby is. Once we let go of him he calmed down pretty quickly. Of course, there was still a little residual as he still has some numbness and of course a tongue that moved, which was very foreign to our little guy. There was very little blood which I also remember from Jonathan getting it done, only hours after birth, a little different than with Nicholas!
Since that appointment, Nicholas has already started making so many more sounds and vocalizing daily. I love watching him play and figure out what to do with his tongue. It is cute to watch him stick his tongue out and also "blow bubbles."
Now, since we finally have it taken care of, we begin the process of teaching Nicholas how to use it correctly. The primary focus right now is helping him to learn to move food to the sides of his mouth so he can actually chew them because he currently pushes it up again the roof of his super high mouth, and tries to mash it whcih doesn't allow us to give him anything that he can't swallow without chewing. We will be adding this to our already crazy busy schedule of PT and OT, both once a week as well as a PEIP, who comes out every week as well to check on us and see how everything is going, and how we are all doing. I will say that the amazing staff we have working with Nicholas, are truly that, amazing, but even beyond that, they truly care, and want what's best for Nicholas.

I know we are so blessed, but I will admit there are days, when I sometimes forget that. Please continue to pray for all of us as we go through all these changes and finding ways to help Nicholas as best we can!

3 comments:

Berbs33 said...

Always praying for you guys. So happy that you were finally able to get that tongue tie taken care of. One thing done! Just take each thing as it comes, one at a time. Keep on blogging, I love reading them!

Christine said...

Sounds like a good doctor, and on to bigger and better things for Nicholas. You are doing so well Sheila! It sounds like each day is a challenge and blessing

Berbs33 said...

Just checking in to see if you have come back to the world of blogging! I loved reading about your adventures and hope that you come back someday soon!