Monday, May 5, 2008

Vows

I have been reading, Diary of St. Maria Faustina, Divine Mercy in My Soul, and have been struck many times at the awe and wonder St. Faustina emanated. Last night however I was really struck by what she wrote so many years ago. I am going to share it with you and I also hope to continue to share at least once a week something from her Diary and I ask anyone and everyone who might be struck as you read it to please share, as what you share may touch another person in a way none of us imagined.

"A Short Version of the Catechism of the Vows

Q. What is a vow?
A. A vow is a voluntary promise made to God, to carry out a more perfect act.

Q. Is a vow binding in a matter which is the object of a commandment?
A. Yes. The carrying out of an act which is the object of a commandment has a double value and merit; and the neglect of such an act is a double transgression and evil, because by breaking such a vow we add to the sin against the commandment, the sin of sacrilege."

I found this really hit me, of course St. Faustina goes on to say how it relates to religious, but I wanted to share that much and how it touched me. As I read this I was struck by the reminder that when we were married we all made a vow to our husbands and that vow is to love and honor forever. But this excerpt reminded me that in the same breath that vow is made to God and to not give 100% of ourselves fully and completely in all the acts that we do for our spouses we are in essence not giving ourselves fully and completely to God. As it was Him who gave us the gift of our spouses to begin with. It has really made me to think hard about what I do for my husband that is the "carrying out of an act which is the object of a commandment" so that in loving and honoring him, I may also bring love and honor to my heavenly father.

Lord, I pray that you may continue to help me see the areas in my life in which I need to focus
more on you and less on myself. Also help me to love my husband as you desire me to do, that I may "carry out a more perfect act." Amen.

No comments: