Monday, August 1, 2011

"D Day"

July 28th, 2011

D Day used to stand for due date, but we long since passed that up! Our new "D Day" stands for delivery day. Since Nicholas didn't want to arrive in his own time ( I am not crazy about my sons, thinking they need to hang out inside longer than necessary) we had an induction schedule for 7 am Thursday July 28th, but were also given the instructions to call at 5:30 am because if they had a busy night we would get bumped to later in the day. So we set our alarm for 5:30 to call the hospital and of course they are full. They had too many woman whose children decided to come on their own and we were to call back again at 9. We call back at 9 and are told, "We will have to call you back and let you know when we are ready for you, probably a little later this afternoon." So Doug and I make plans to run a few errands and get a few things we didn't get yet. We are finishing getting ready to go when we get a phone call, mind you it is only 30 minutes after we called and were told it will be a little while, "We are all ready for you, when can you be here?"

We canceled our plans to go get Jonathan and run a few errands and headed to the hospital. We got all signed in and headed to our room to get started. They put the IV in and pitocin started at 10:50ish. We then chatted and hung around in our room as contractions started getting stronger, and a little closer together. They started about 5 min. apart and then were at 2 min. and were consistent in strength ( but really weren't that bad lol). At 1:30 my doc came in and checked me. I was at a 3 and he broke my water. He was very surprised that I still had sooooooooo much water left, because I kind of kept "peeing" ha ha! Of course, you have to sit for about 20 min after the water is broken, to make sure as baby makes his way down the canal that the chord doesn't get wrapped around his neck. Once we were sure we were passed that possibility we were up and moving around again to keep things moving. Contractions definitely got stronger and stayed about 2 min. apart.

At 10 after 3 I was at 5 cm, so I decided to spend some time in the jacuzzi to help me relax and bear with the contractions. I got in the tub around 3:30 and they gave me a little "cocktail" to help take a little of the edge off the contractions. I am not really sure how much it helped, but it was comfortable when I was not in the midst of a contraction! The next check I was 7/8 so things were progressing well. I finally was at the point where I couldn't take it anymore and the breathing helped when I remembered and was able to do it. I was ready for an epidural. Mary checked me one more time to make sure and well I was 8/9. Epidural wasn't happening. She said we needed to get back to the bed, and get ready for baby to join us. I said wait until the end of this contraction. As I started to get out another hit and I could move. As soon as that one was over, she was moving me quickly to get back to the bed. I got back into bed at 3:56. I had 2 more contractions and my Dr. said, one more contraction and we should be ready to push. I told him, that isn't happening, baby is coming now. He checked me and realized I wasn't lying. 2 contractions (pushes) later, our little man Nicholas joined us. At 4:03 pm Nicholas Boniface Jordan joined our family at 8 lbs 12 oz. and 21 inches long.
He decided not to take a breath and cry right away so our Doc had to cut the chord and called in a few NICU nurses to just be on hand. Nicholas had a good color, he was just being difficult, yes he literally started being difficult upon birth!

So, there is the first installment, of many more to come. Hopefully the other posts won't be this long, so I can get more posted in a short period of time!

1 comment:

Berbs33 said...

Wow - 2 pushes only, nice job Sheila! I am sure that day still seems like kind of a blurr with how fast everything went. You will be so happy you have this written down so you can look back and read it when things have calmed down for you guys. Can't wait to read the rest of the story (hopefully coming soon but I understand that you guys have a lot going on right now) - if there is anything I can do please let me know or if you ever just need to talk you know my number and I promise I will answer (unless I am at work or sleeping)! Take Care.