Happy Easter, Jesus Christ is Risen Alleluia!
As promised, I am writing again. Last nights Easter Vigil was beautiful. The church looked amazing in its simplicity with flowers that brightened everything. I also found it incredibly beautiful to see siblings serving together. Some friends of ours have three children. The youngest was in my class the first year I lived out here. They are now, a sophomore in high school, an eighth grader, and a fifth grader. All three were on the alter serving for the Vigil and that just really struck me as being beautiful.
It was nice to have a celebration that was different and yet just as touching, as we were in Steubenville last year. It again was stocked with memories that will last for a while. There were many moments of humor. Right before Mass started our friends broke a pew. Yes, you read that right, they went to put the kneeler up, and because the pew in front of them had cracked, the kneeler went up, but didn't stay up. Instead it came down with a rather loud and obnoxious "THUNK." Joe turned beet red and then started laughing. Another moment was when Joe and Martine turned around and looked at me and started laughing because at theThursday night mass we were also behind them and Joe made a comment before mass started that we needed to jive up the song, that was playing, like they do in Sister Act. Of course that wasn't forgotten. When one of the vocalists was singing it again sounded like it could pretty much work into a Sister Act III. Of course it was even more comical when you look up and see their youngest bopping along with the music. It was too precious.
Father did a great job with it all and really reached out to the congregation during the homily and shared funny anecdotes. It was a really amazing celebration. One moment that I think will definitely stick with me was Doug getting caught red-handed during mass, not paying attention. He was giving Father a hand throughout the mass with a spotlight. It was on before Mass started, focusing on the alter and the flowers right in front, which was breathtaking and then Doug had to turn it off until the Gloria when all the lights came back on. He did that fine and came back to sit with me and mass was going along fine. Until Doug decided to lean over and start talking to me and even now, I don't have the foggiest of ideas as to what he was trying to tell me because Father was up on the alter looking directly at us mouthing, "turn it off" and using his hand and rotating it slightly to get the idea across that he wanted the spotlight off. I tried getting Doug to pay attention, but he wasn't getting the point that Father was trying to get his attention until I elbowed him again, and leaned over and said, "Father is trying to get your attention, he wants the spotlight off" he response, "Oh, Okay I didn't know." It was really cute.
There were no candidates for baptism or anything, which was a little sad, but it still was powerful and a very solid Mass filled with rejoicing and praise for our Risen Lord. I hope all of your Easter celebrations are filled with memories and moments to hold on to for years. I pray all your Easters are blest and filled with His love and peace as we celebrate what He did for us so many years ago. God Bless you all.
2 comments:
I am glad to hear that your last couple days have been so powerful. Just reading your blog made me feel really good. I even pulled it up so my mom and sister could read it! You are an amazing person. I hope you had a Great Easter and I look forward to talking to you soon!
Thanks Mandy,
It was a great Easter. I hope to talk to you soon as well. Don't have too much fun this weekend. Wish I could be there. I want to see lots of pictures.
Post a Comment