Saturday, March 21, 2015

Tuesday March 10th, 2015

Today I met with a new DD case manager for Nicholas. We had one we were working with since he was 6 months old but once he turned three he was taken off DD case services because they felt for whatever reason he didn't need it anymore We petitioned again, last September, to try to get him services and it was denied. Our case manager called me 2 weeks ago and said that she was going to have her boss look at getting us a new case manager. I am not sure as to the reason of this. I feel as thought she thinks she maybe told me something but never did. Never the less, we got a new DDPM, and honestly, I am totally ok with this because it was getting to the point that I was ready to possibly request a new one anyway, as I just didn't feel she had Nicholas best interests at heart. We did get a new one assigned to us and I met with her today. I felt that she was much more thorough than our last one. She went to school to see Nicolas even before she met with me. She got a chance to observe him, ask questions and really, I feel, got a full picture of Nicholas in his setting there. She also shared with me that even his teachers can tell that something isn't quite right, but of course with no official diagnosis, we don't have much to go on. After, she finished at his school, she came to our house to ask questions, have me sign papers and get even more info to make sure we are doing what's best for him. At the end of our conversation we talked about the geneticist and that I needed to make an appointment for his follow up since I was supposed to do that 6 months ago, and well life got a way from me and it just never happened. I called and got in the next week which never happens. Seriously, that really doesn't happen. I thought it was pretty awesome. So, our case manager or DDPM which they're also called, said we should wait for the note from our geneticist before she brings Nicholas' case to the committee the committee. The committee is who decides if he can continue services. They need, in their opinion, to have a firm diagnosis or a neurological impairment for them to allow the services. He clearly has this but they apparently didn't feel so the last time Truthfully anyone who sees him can see that something is just not quite right. Needless to say I am excited to see what the next week brings and how our meeting with Dr. McGrann plays out so we can move forward to the committee meeting and get Nicholas back on services. Stay posted for many more posts to come. I am going to keep things coming regularly now as I need to use this as a processing piece for me, as well as update friends and family without having to repeat myself 500 times. Now you might say, that is stretching a bit, but with a family as large as mine, it really isn't. :)

No comments: