Sunday, October 19, 2008
In Loving Memory
This post is going to probably be one of my most difficult. It is also partly the reason why I have been slightly busy. A dear friend and co-worker of mine passed away last week, Oct 6 at 4:15 in the morning. Mary "Kim" Roberts was a woman who loved teaching, she loved the kids as though they were her own. I had the privilege of working with her a lot last year and truly enjoyed every minute of it. We had many connections the strongest being that we were both from the Midwest. Of course, hers was a little bit of a downer, because she was from Wisconsin and supported the Packers and, well, we just can't have that. So I decided to chalk that up as her fault, because all of us can have one right? :) Anyway, in Jan. of last year, Kim and I started working more closely together as coaches for our school's academic bowl team. We had many lunch and after school practices. It was a lot of fun, and always entertaining. We went to competition in March and enjoyed around a 2 hour drive to Maine, in which we chatted and got to know each other even better and of coursed good-natured-ly laughed at the students with us. We roomed together and our friendship really blossomed and became something I will forever cherish. When we got back we chatted about the memories and enjoyed each others company. Unfortunately when we came back we also got the news that her cancer had come back and was growing a tumor by her liver. Kim, however, was not deterred, with her ever positive spirit said, we will start here and work our way through this situation. I love her for that. Always looking at the positive, no matter what the situation entails. As the year went on we chatted about family and being back home and how much we missed it. It was something really wonderful. Something I will always hold dear. As the year wound down, she knew she wasn't staying for Summer school, but instead going to spend a month with her family in Wisconsin. I of course harassed her about that, because, well it just wasn't fair, she was able to go back and enjoy the Midwest and I was stuck in Massachusetts. The day before she was leaving we were in school chatting and I mentioned that I had something to tell her, since she would be gone for the summer, and it took her no time at all to ask me if I was pregnant. I confirmed it and she was so excited for me. She was the first person, outside of my supervisor, who I told at work. She gave me a great big hug congratulated me and then preceded to ask me when I was moving back home, because she knew that was what we desired. She was always like that. Remembered even the small details. Kim enjoyed her time with her family and came back at the beginning of the school year and was only able to complete 2 days as her doctor said she needed to rest so she could be strong enough for her surgery. So while she was out, I took over her classes, and let me tell you. I respected her even more, because high school is completely different from elementary. Yikes, one word can describe it all, Attitudes much? Anyway, I chatted with her often while she was resting and we enjoyed sharing what was going on. We were excited that I was going to go and visit her, but a procedure was scheduled that day, so we knew she would be really tired, and said we would try for another day. Unfortunately, that wasn't able to happen, because her health declined very quickly. She was hoping to make it back home to finish out her days that, but that was not what the Good Lord had planned. Kim left her life on earth Monday morning, October 6th surrounded by all of her family. Kim, you were a dear friend, a fellow Midwesterner, and an amazing teacher. I will miss you dearly. Know that your family will continue to be in my prayers. I take comfort in the fact you are no longer suffering, but instead are now watching over all of us. ILY. I Love You
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello Shiela, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I will keep you and Doug and all of her family in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to see you posting again but I sad to hear what you have been going through. I hope you are doing okay and I will talk to you soon.
Sheila, I am so sorry...we're praying for you and her family. On a lighter note, I've tagged you in a sweet meme.
Post a Comment